New website ready for visitors!
Cairns & District Family History Society Inc finally has a vibrant new website up and running, ready for visitors!
The former website served its purpose very well for many years, mainly as a static information site.
But in current times, websites need to be more interactive and incorporate social media as well, so it was definitely time for a makeover. Website development tools and content management systems and utilities have become so much more user-friendly in recent years, so we’ve given it a go!
We have incorporated:
- a new blog
- social media share buttons for each post and page
- social media follow icons in our footer
- interactive Google Maps on our Contacts and About us pages to help people locate us physically
- automated eNewsletter sign-up forms
- mobile device responsive design
- updated pages for the McLeod Street Cemetery pioneer headstones that are accessed from the QR code blocks installed at the gravesites, to make them easier to read on mobile devices
- automated backups
- search engine optimisation tools
- a sitemap (site index), and
- the potential to add more new features.
Access to the site can also be managed to allow committee members to add or draft their own blog articles, edit page information, add media and documents, etc.
When I was asked if I would be interested in helping to update or rebuild the CDFHS website, of course I said ‘yes’!
It wasn’t long before we had the header and theme designed, and a demo site uploaded. Over subsequent weeks we updated/added content, and sought approval from the committee to go ahead. Then we restructured the emails and did a few other tweaks. Last week I installed the new site on the existing hosting, and now just have a few minor things to refine and backend jobs to complete.
Here is our new product… we hope you like it!
Unfortunately we didn’t get to report anything special for #NFHM2014, but we were certainly working very hard behind the scenes right throughout August. Hopefully our use of newer technologies will help us be more organised to plan some special events for #NFHM2015!
Now that we have the foundation, we can work on adding and improving content, and we encourage members to submit articles and news items for publication.
In the last few weeks, CDFHS has a new committee, new emails, a new website, new mailing list, new newsletters, new blog, new social media, and some new members… so it should be an exciting year ahead! Share and follow to help us get started 🙂