Can’t find the parish register you are looking for online? Explore what is available to borrow from the FamilySearch Catalog.
The Society is a designated FamilySearch centre for FamilySearch’s extensive collection of genealogical and historical records on microfilm.
Records on film can be borrowed for free. There is however, a charge for shipping and handling of between $8 to $9, depending on the US/AUS monetary exchange rate. The film is shipped to the CDFHS library where it can be viewed on our modern ScanPro reader/printer.
Ordering is simple
Go to the FamilySearch website.
Before ordering, check to make sure the record you require does not have a digital copy online. Ask our friendly Research Assistants to help you with this search.
You will need an email address.
- Set up a FamilySearch Account – select Cairns & District Family History Society as viewing location. If you already have an account, sign-in.
- Locate the microfilm/microfiche number you want to order from the FamilySearch Library Catalog.
- Select your loan type – “Short-term” or “Extended” – select Australian dollars.
- Enter the film number.
- Add to cart – Proceed to Checkout – Payment is by credit card or PayPal.
- Check that the viewing location is set to – Cairns & District Family History Society
You will be advised by email when your microform has arrived at the CDFHS library. The short-term loan period is 90 days.
Viewing the microfilm
Films are viewed on our state-of-the-art ScanPro reader/printer.
You will need to book a session – a session is 2 consecutive hours. If no one else requires the ScanPro you may continue your session for the hours the library is open.
Fees for use of ScanPro reader/printer
Non-members $5 per session (2 hours +)
Printouts 20 cents per page