DNA testing has become an essential component of genealogical research, for verifying existing research as well as providing new avenues for discovery. If you’re the slightest bit inquisitive and want to learn more, or if you’ve already tested your DNA and want to understand your results or ask questions, do come along to our regular presentation for beginners: Introduction to DNA testing for Genealogy. Invite your family and friends too!
Next session: Date TBA
You’ve just missed our most recent session!
Please contact Louise to express your interest in attending Introduction to DNA testing for Genealogy, and we will schedule another date. Or visit our next Drop-In DNA Clinic or DNA Interest Group meeting, and we will help you get started!
Introduction to DNA testing for Genealogy
We will introduce you to using DNA testing as a tool in your family history research, so you can learn to use DNA to:
- Confirm (or disprove) relationships
- Find new branches of your existing trees
- Connect with previously unknown cousins
- Find biological relatives (useful where parentage is unknown, eg. adoptees)
- Reveal your ethnicity/admixture
- Learn your direct paternal/maternal line origins
- Identify biological relatives (useful where parentage is unknown, eg. adoptees)
Learn the basics about DNA testing:
- Types of tests
- Who to test
- Where to test
- How to test
- How much it costs
- What you get
- Practical applications
View test kits and results from the major testing companies.
(NB: If you can’t attend and would like to suggest a more convenient day/time for the next session, or an online session, please let Louise know).
Cairns Family History Centre
271 Gatton Street, Westcourt
COST: Members free, Non-members $10.
Contact Louise with any enquiries.
See our Calendar of Events