The Cairns Cenotaph WW1 Memorial was originally erected at the intersection of Abbott and Shields Streets in 1925 as a tribute to those who gave their lives during WW1. The four faces of the plinth list those from the community who died. The monument was relocated to its current location on the beautiful Cairns Esplanade, opposite the RSL, in 1972. Here, the Digger on the top of the Cenotaph gazes out on the Coral Sea.
The Cenotaph Memorial panels lists the names of 142 WW1 soldiers and nurses. The Cairns Cenotaph WW1 Online Memorial contains biographies for 127 of these military personnel. The remaining fifteen names cannot be positively identified:
J.E. Bowers, F.P. Jessop, J.J. Jones, A.E. Kenneth, G. Lawson, J. Lawson, J. Lynch, J. McLean, E. Paterson, W. Paterson, P. Quinn, A. Richards, G.B. Smith, G. Thomas, J.J.R. Woods.
If you can help identify any of these soldiers please contact our Project Team.
Research for this website, including writing the stories for the soldiers and nurses, sourcing the documents, photographs and news items, by Dell Deed, Kesley Court and Heather Cox. Cairns Cenotaph WW1 website content by Heather Cox. Photographs of the Cairns Cenotaph by Kesley Court. The original idea for the project by Aileen Park with initial research.
Cairns Cenotaph Panels
Cairns Cenotaph Memorial Site
Photographs by Kesley Court 2017